Major grant deadline October 16, 2017. Minor grants available year-round
|Download the application form.|
|See a list of all past projects|
|Contact us to discuss your application:
NEW Partnership with Community Fund for Canada's 150th
Successful grant applicants might also be eligible to apply for matched funding from the Community Fund for Canada's 150th. Applications must meet the fund's eligibility criteria. Organizations must provide in-kind support. Contact the Environmental Coordinator for more information 668-8652.
The City of Whitehorse recognizes the benefit of working with the community to develop and deliver environmental programs and practices. The Environmental Grant can assist businesses, non-profit societies, and community groups with funding for environmental initiatives. A total of up to $25,000 is available each year for Environmental Grants. In addition to the information below, all grants adhere to the Environmental Grant Policy.
For projects outside Whitehorse, you can also consider the Government of Yukon Environmental Awareness Fund.Application Deadline and Funds Available
Applications for Major Grants ($1000 or more) are accepted twice annually on February 15th and October 15th, or the first business day following the 15th. 55% of the funds (i.e. $13,750) are available in February, and the remainder in October.
Applications for funding under $1000 are called Minor Grants and may be submitted throughout the year if funds are available. See the Environmental Grant Policy for more information on limitations.
Before you start your application
- Read the Environmental Grant Policy. It contains important information about eligibility and procedures.
- Read the Whitehorse Sustainability Plan. Your application should demonstrate how your project will contribute to meeting the objectives and goals of this plan.
- Look at the list of past projects. The Environmental Fund has supported many community projects over the years. This list will give you an idea of the types of projects that have been funded, and the value of the funding.
- Contact the City of Whitehorse Environmental Coordinator to discuss your application and ideas. It is strongly suggested that you discuss your project before submitting an application.
Complete the application form
Only electronic applications will be accepted. Paper copies will not be accepted.
- Download and save a copy of the Environmental Fund Application (rtf or Word)
- Complete the application and save it with your project title as the file name.
- Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supporting documentation (letters of support, confirmation of partner funding, quotations for capital expenses exceeding $500.00, regulation permits and permissions) can be scanned and submitted with the emailed application. If you cannot provide digital copies, you can come to the Planning & Sustainability office and they can be scanned for you.
Applications are reviewed by a review committee and recommendations are made to City Council. Decisions are made within 6 weeks of the application deadline.
Resources for successful applicants
Once your project has been completed, you need to submit by email:
The two above documents are required for completion of the project and release of holdback funding.
Note the Grant terms and conditions (these will be sent to successful applicants).
Tel: (867) 668-8652
Office Location: 4210 Fourth Avenue, Whitehorse, second floor